Where do I report a crime?
A crime must be reported to the law enforcement agency that has jurisdiction over the city or county where the crime occurred. The Ellis County attorney’s office does not investigate crimes. Please call police dispatch at (785) 625-1011 to report your crime. They will refer you, if necessary, to the appropriate agency in Ellis County.

Law enforcement agencies in Ellis County include:
  • Ellis County Sheriff’s Department
    Ph: (785) 625-1040
  • Hays Police Department
    Ph: (785) 625-1030
  • Fort Hays State University Police Department
    Ph: (785) 628-5304
  • Ellis Police Department
    Ph: (785) 726-4141
  • Victoria Police Department
    Ph: (785) 735-9354
  • Kansas Alcohol Beverage and Control
    Ph: (785) 296-7015
  • Kansas Bureau of Investigation
    Ph: (785) 296-8200

Show All Answers

1. Can the Ellis County attorney’s office give legal advice?
2. Who do I contact if I am the victim of a crime?
3. Where do I report a crime?
4. As a crime victim, do I have any say regarding bond conditions (including no contact orders)?
5. As the victim of the crime, is it my decision whether or not to prosecute or file charges?
6. Who do I contact if I have a question concerning a case in which I am the defendant?
7. What is a diversion agreement?
8. How do I know if I am eligible for a diversion?
9. Who do I contact if I have questions regarding child support?
10. Who do I contact regarding consumer fraud or consumer product complaints?
11. Who do I contact for questions regarding divorce?
12. What are my rights as a landlord or a tenant?
13. Who do I contact regarding a Municipal Court ticket?
14. How do I file a petition for expungement?
15. How do I file a small claims case?