As a mother, one of the best things that only you can do for your baby is to breastfeed. Breastfeeding is more then a lifestyle choice - it is an important healthy choice. Any amount of time that you spend breastfeeding will help both you and your baby. Although breastfeeding isn't the only option for feeding your baby, every mother has the potential to succeed and make breastfeeding a wonderful experience. WIC strongly encourages new mothers to breastfeed as breastmilk is widely acknowledged to be the most complete form of nutrition for infants with a wide range of benefits for both infants and mothers.
Breastmilk is perfect for babies:
Breastmilk is ideal for moms:
- It is the best nutrition possible.
- It is easy to digest and initiates rapid growth.
- It reduces the risk of ear infections, SIDs, diarrhea, and RSV.
- It helps prevent chronic diseases including diabetes, asthma, heart disease, and cancer.
- It promotes brain growth for a smarter infant and child.
- It is always clean and safe.
- It is always ready and at the right temperature.
- There is nothing to purchase, measure, or mix.
- You can satisfy your baby's hunger right away.
- It promotes weight loss after pregnancy.
- It prevents chronic diseases including cancer and osteoporosis.
Breastmilk is good for families:
- Breastfed babies are ready to play and are more fun for Dad, brothers, and sisters.
- Breastfed babies are healthier so Mom and Dad don't have to miss work.
- Breastfeeding saves money - between $1,100 and $3,900 depending upon the brand of formula.
- Breastmilk is always ready to go so there is nothing extra to carry.
- Breastfeeding doesn't pollute the environment.
WIC will help you achieve your breastfeeding goals. We have a certified breastfeeding educator to answer questions and assist you with problems. We will help you provide your baby with the perfect food you make.