Click to Home

Go To Search
Ellis County Courthouse
1204 Fort Street, Hays, KS 67601
Ph: (785) 628-9410
Planning & Zoning
Karen Purvis
Zoning Administrator

Carla Meier
Environmental Associate

Kristin Hernandez
Environmental Associate

718 Main St., Lower Level
Hays, KS  67601

Ph: (785) 628-9449
Fx: (785) 628-9448

Monday - Friday
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
The Planning and Zoning Division strives to ensure that the Ellis County Zoning Regulations and Subdivision Regulations are followed in providing proper land use and development of Ellis County properties.

Joint Planning Commission
View the Joint Planning Commission to see its members, agendas, minutes, and maps.

Agricultural Lot Split
Anytime land is divided in Ellis County there must be approval from the County Zoning Administrator.  Agricultural zoned land can be split through a survey with these requirements:
  • Parent property before lot split contains a minimum of 40 acres
  • New lot created contains a minimum of 2 acres
  • Some restrictions from further division of both properties without full platting may apply

Agricultural Lot Split form - Contact our office for details.

Zoning Certificates
Prior to the erection or alteration of any structure, an application for a Zoning Certificate shall be obtained.  A Zoning Certificate is similar to a building permit.

Zoning Certificate form - Contact our office for details.

Other Permits & Applications

Additional Resources