Click to Home

Go To Search
Ellis County Courthouse
1204 Fort Street, Hays, KS 67601
Ph: (785) 628-9410
New Law Passed in 2014

A new law passed in 2014 by the Kansas Legislature prohibits party members from switching parties during a period beginning on the candidate filing deadline through the date when the results of the August primary are certified.  The filing deadline normally is at Noon on June 1, but because the law does not go into effect until July 1, that is the effective date this year.

Here is a summary of the major points of the law:

  • Registered voters who are affiliated with a party may not file paperwork to change their party affiliations from July 1 through August this year.
  • Any person who files paperwork to change parties during the prohibited period will be asked to re-file the document September 1 or after.
  • Democrats may not switch to Republican or vice versa.
  • Switches to and from the Libertarian Party also are prohibited.
  • A member of a party may not disaffiliate from his/her party and become unaffiliated during this period.
  • A registered voter who is unaffiliated may, however, affiliate with a party during this period and when voting at the primary or requesting an advance ballot.

Voters are encouraged to become aware of the new rules as they prepare for the August 5 state primary election.

Proof of Citizenship
Effective January 1, 2013, all first-time registrants are required to submit Proof of U.S. Citizenship to register to vote. 

Got Photo ID?
Every voter must show photo ID when voting.  A voter requesting a ballot by mail must either write his or her driver's license number on the application or send a copy of a photo ID to get a ballot.  A voter age 65 or older may use an expired document.

Certain individuals are exempt from the ID requirements:  permanent advance voters (voters with illnesses or disabilities), overseas military voters and their spouses and dependents, and voters with religious objections who sign declarations.

Got Photo ID?  Click Here for more information

Registration Restrictions
To register to vote, you must:
  • Be a U.S. citizen and a resident of the State of Kansas
  • Have abandoned your former residence and/or name
  • Have reached the age of 18 before the next statewide general election
  • Have your civil rights restored if convicted of a felony

Registration Procedure
Qualified persons may register to vote at the County Clerk's Office or at other designated locations by either requesting an application from the County Clerk or downloading a Voter Registration Application from the Kansas Secretary of State. If you have changed your name or address, contact the County Clerk at (785) 628-9410 to update your voter registration information.

Advance Voting
With advance voting, any registered voter can vote by mail or in person before Election Day. You can download the Kansas Secretary of State's Advance Voting Application or contact the County Clerk to request an application for an advance voting ballot.

Polling Location
To find out where your polling location is, please visit the Vote! Kansas website. Here you can enter your name and birth date to get your current polling location, county voting history, and more.